Friday, September 15, 2006

Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya ...

From the Princess Bride.

Love the movie. My sisters and I all have a copy on DVD and it is one of our "sick movies," as in we pull it out when we are sick and need a pick me up.

The LaPorte County Library was awesome while I was growing up. It had great movies and a great CD collection. (Of course, the books were great too.) That's where I first discovered The Princess Bride. I think we rented it a kazillion times before we broke down and bought it.

When our tape died (yes, it was pre-DVD), I went on a quest of sorts to find a replacement. No one had it in stock. Fewer people knew what it was. I wound up in South Bend at Media Play (about and hour away) and asked the video guy if he had it in stock. Nope. I asked if I could order it. He brought up the catalog to check. He looked at me and told me it sounded familiar and gave me a few plot points. Eureka! Someone else knew it! A co-worker came up and asked what movie we were looking for. Turns out he knew it too. Before I knew it, the two of them are acting out the poison scene with "it's one of the classic blunders" and "ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Ha ha-- (thunk)". The two of them were laughing uproariously (it was pretty funny) and having a grand ol' time with it. One said, "That was a great movie!" The other looked back at the catalog and said, "Oh man. It's out of print." I left the store feeling like I'd just ruined both their days.

No movie, but I did get a floor show.

I hate it when they re-release a movie on DVD several times. I love the behind the scenes stuff as much as the next movie maniac, but come on. Now there is an anniversary edition of the Princess Bride that I am going to have to buy - it has extras the original doesn't. And don't get me started on the Star Wars re-re-releases. There is another ALREADY SCHEDULED for all six episodes. How many times can you kick a dead horse? I've heard of a movie making one's career, but sheesh. George Lucas, I love ya, but even I am thinking it's time to put it to bed.

No comments: