Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Creatures of the Night

And Non-Wallbangers

I just finished Danse Macabre by Laurell Hamilton (see http://www.laurellkhamilton.org). This novel defies description. I can’t even put into words what I liked about it because I know it will come out all wrong. The novel sucked me in and would not let me go until I finished the last page. And what a finale. I wasn’t looking for it and suddenly there it was. It is one of those novels I will probably obsess about until I can put some time and distance between it an me.

It was magic. Pure magic. And a keeper. I’m eager to see what Anita and the gang will be up to next.

The difference between this novel and the wallbanger is that one is dark and violent, but the sex scenes are appropriate within the context of the character. There is still a layer of passion beneath. And when someone crosses the line, there is a price to pay. The heroine is strong, but not to the point you question her humanity. She is the Executioner, and yet there is a baby scare and all the too-human emotions that go along with that. I think one of the things I loved best about this novel was that Anita got back a lot of her humanity in learning she could lean on those she has surrounded herself with for strength. You just don’t get to be that strong without a pretty serious support network around you.

I wish I could tell what I love about the dark side. It's not something for me to embrace, although I believe it is out there. You cannot have good without evil. What is that quote from "The Usual Suspects?" The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince people he didn't exist (or something to that effect). There is a story that I keep mulling around in my head. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't influenced in some way by Buffy, Charmed and Anita Blake. It's about a group of supernaturals: a witch, a shape shifter, a psychic, a vampire and an angel. Kinda like a dark Justice League. Together they navigate the pitfalls of the both good and evil, and the overall theme is Redemption.

I spend a lot of time listening to Evanescence's "Fallen." The track called "Tourniquet" gives me a mini-movie into the heroine's quest for redemption. She has fallen, but is compelled to right the wrongs around her. And maybe, just maybe she can even the scales for her soul.

Whoa. That was deep, especially for me. The story is there. I just need to make it happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you kind of hate it when a song is perfect for the story in your head? I mean, when they make the movie, what will they use for the opening credits. I mean, in order to be nominated for an Oscar, it has to be original!

I think of these things, I really do.

You need to write that baby, you really do. It would be a great series, even graphic novels. Just thing of the visual possibilities!

Hi!