Thursday, August 03, 2006

You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat.

(From Jaws)

It’s Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. How appropriate since my boat is leaking metaphorically speaking and I’m about to be sucked under a wave of paperwork at work. At least it is a WHOLE lot better than the last place I worked (of ye ol ‘Approved for Termination’ fame). Less stress, too. Now if I’d only win the lottery, learn to like veggies and workout, my life would be perfect.

Finally, there is a break in the heat. Which, of course, means it is raining. Even better, this wacky weather has triggered my migraines again. Probably a cluster of them too. At least, I want to blame the weather. Surely it has nothing to do with all the junk food I’ve eaten this week. See, junk food makes me feel happy … and nothing that makes you feel happy could possibly make the little man with the pick-axe in my head start using said pick-axe or do that awful squeezing/pressure thing that makes you feel like he is sucking your soul and/or will to live out through your nasal cavity …

Ok, enough of the woe-is-me bit.

Writing. I don’t seem to be doing a whole lot of it lately. Again. I did work on a scene where our hero finally realized the reason behind our heroine’s strongest objection to their marriage. Little sister pointed it out, of course. The woman’s perspective. Our hero kissed our heroine several years ago and then promptly announced his engagement – to someone else. Heroine pops him in the nose and basically leave town to study to become a doctor. Then several years later, he kisses her again and she questions his motives, especially since he has enlisted her help in finding him a wife.

Or is it more effective to have a notorious scoundrel not kiss little miss perfect for a good chunk of the time they are engaged?

Sigh. Me thinks my scene will be filed under “Good idea, but it doesn’t work here”. The Story of My Life.

No comments: