Friday, June 15, 2007

The Great Debate

Ever have an opportunity come up where you know you should refuse for every practical reason under the sun and yet something is still pulling you in that direction?

I recently stumbled across a pet adoption web site and out of the hundreds of dogs on this site, one seems to be calling my name. Her name is Sadie and she is a little black schnauzer. It looks like she is a few years older than Trent but she's in good health.

Of course, money is tight. We are on a budget. We'd need to buy her own crate, dog bed, collar, leash and toys. It would be two vet bills. We rent the house we're in now.

On the other hand, unconditional love. Trent would have a playmate. It takes Trent four months to eat his food anyway. Her vet visit is taken care of for this year. I'm learning to cut Trent's hair (poor dog). She looks just like him, down to the uncut yet perky ears. We're used to the schnauzerisms of the breed. She won't shed. There's plenty of yard for both. And finally, she's just so danged cute!

Sigh. Sadie is a rescue and her foster family lives 3 hours away. Not a bad drive, not really for us.

DH and I talked last night. Her adoption fee is only $75, which I think is really cheap considering the other ones I've looked at and the medical stuff she's been through.

So we sent an email asking about her. We'll have to see what happens from here.

5 comments:

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Oh Btuda, you're hooked! I can tell from just reading what you have written. Good luck with it. I hope you get your Sadie to be pals with Trent. Is there a possibility of maybe breeding the two? Just asking. Have fun.

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Okay you got me started. I looked at a couple of Pet sites and I have spent the last two hours looking at poor babies who need homes. Unfortunately I already have a dog and Sheryl has a dog so we can't adopt any. There were even some listed for a city near us. Some real cuties out there. Call all your friends.

btuda said...

*sigh* Sadie was adopted already, but the same foster family contacted us and told us they has a little silver schnauzer now that would be ready to adopt soon. There still may be a possibility here!

Anonymous said...

This is why I don't look at adoption sites. I can't even look at the cats in PetSmart. Poor babies. I want them all but have my hands full enough with two cats as it is. When the time comes, though, that's where I'll be.

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

So sorry Sadie was lost to you. Maybe the little silver critter will be just as sweet. Hope so. They give so much love and ask so little don't they?