Sunday, November 02, 2008

Buying a House - Day 4

Okay, so I've already skipped days 1 through 3. I've been in a daze.

My darling husband, almost on a whim, decided he wanted to see if we could buy a house. You see, we currently rent, and the whole bit about not putting nails in the walls or painting with color is getting really old. We even managed to have a previous landlord who was certifiably insane.

Then the news about the housing market got really bad. The houses in our area are not really moving well, and as time went on, things didn't look promising.

Then we got the email. Yes, in the technological world we live in, we couldn't wait for a call and got the email first.

Back to the email: We were approved for financing. Our realtor, staying on top of the situation, knew nearly as soon as we did, thanks to email. She contacted the agent listing a house we'd looked at and it was still available. We took a second walk through and made an offer.

Thirty minutes later, we got the call that the owner wanted to counter offer, with only a $500 difference. Considering I was expecting the worst and am the world's worst negotiator, I had to ask our realtor this several times. We accepted, and now we are in the process of hiring an inspector to make sure the beauty of the place is more than paint deep.

Excuse me while I hyperventilate.

Have I said "Eek!" yet?

2 comments:

Keziah Fenton said...

Yay! Welcome to the insane world of home owning. Will there be a house-warming of the magnitude we had for Merry in which a whack of CBs descend upon your household and do chores?
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats and good luck! Welcome to the Homeowner's Club! It's actually kind of fun once you get over the hyperventilating. I expect my housewarming invitation any day now...