Thursday, July 27, 2006

Nationals, Used Cows, and the Ever-present Manuscript

RWA nationals are going on in Atlanta. Sigh. If I had gotten my act together and rejoined, I could have gone. Atlanta is only a few hours from my folks' place in Tennesse. The last one I went to was in Chicago. I had a blast with my Chapter 89 friends. Miss them something fierce. I basically dropped out because I moved an extra hour away, got married, and got lazy. Chapters are for writing, not just socializing. I really lost my drive to write and burnt out on my main manuscript because I reworked it to death. Now I live between two great chapters -- Indy and Northwest Indiana, based in Lake County. If money was no object, I'd do both. Sigh. Of course, money is very important consideration in everything I do now. But at least I have a decent computer now. My printer is out of ink, but the computer itself is just fine.

Tennessee: gotta love the drive. There is a sign in Kentucky off I-65 that says, I swear to God, "Used Cows."
Please, feel free to discuss because heaven knows my sisters and I have.

The Manuscript
I am currently writing a turn of the century romantic suspense. Our heroine is a physician, following in her father's footstep. Our hero is a successful businessman, heir to his father's shipping empire. He also has an identical twin brother. I am currently working on two problems. Our heroine cannot seem to make up her mind if she wants to marry him. Of course, she does, but I need to get her thinking to arc to where she reaches a pivotal decision where she overcomes her objections despite having loved him her entire life and told him no anyway. Yes, it would be nice if he told her he loved her, but he doesn't really know that himself yet. He is being Mr. Logical and thinks she will suit nicely. Grrr.


Point 2: Hero starts logical and well, anal retentive and immediately becomes Mr. Best Friend and not very heroic. I need to have him gradually loosen up due to her influence. He is a scoundrel who is trying to reform, but his past keeps popping up and foiling his plans. The original idea was that she was Miss Perfect and he was the Scoundrel. He decides to reform just as she decides to loosen the corset strings. She wants the scoundrel, but feels she missed her chance.

Maybe if I just tighten up the "ships passing in the night"... that might work. She is hell-bent on creating a scandal and he has to reign her in. To pull that off though, I will need a fresh approach. That's been done over and over again. And it cannot overshadow the fact that a murderer is stalking her.

I think I have too many ideas floating though here. Methinks my garden needs pruning.

"We've got cows." -- Twister

No comments: