Friday, January 19, 2007

Another Adventure Begins

Well, we're shipping my sister off to Ohio tomorrow. Last Thursday she got the call she'd been waiting for about where she would be placed after her manager training with Bob Evans was completed. Unfortunately, it wasn't in Indiana like she'd hoped, but the good news she is still closer to us than some parts of the state. She'll be three hours from me and still about six hours from Mom and Dad. All in all, no too bad. Especially since she passed that critical 48 hour freak-out period. That was fun.

Dad came up yesterday to help. Hopefully we can keep him in a supervisory capacity since he is still nursing a sore knee. DH enlisted the help of the BIL - yes, that BIL - so hopefully the guys can handle most the heavy stuff. All I'm going to say on that is that it sure makes it hard to hold a grudge when someone volunteers to do something nice like this, so maybe he's trying. That, and I really love his wife, DH's sister.

Sister #2 sent a couple of emails out to close family to let them know what's going on and one of our Dad's cousins said he wasn't doing anything and volunteered to help. That's pretty cool too. Add to the mix my mother, who is driving up Saturday, and maybe my DSS, if his mom isn't being a horse's patout.

So with this cast of thousands, hopefully there is room for everyone to actually carry stuff down a flight of stairs and into the moving van. Sister #1 (the one who's moving) said her new place is smaller than her current apartment, so getting stuff moved in is going to be an adventure in itself. At least the new place is downstairs.

Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Remember to pack shovels.
You just never know. . .

btuda said...

I saw my sister's shovel -- and promptly burst out laughing. It's a heavy duty @#$% moving shovel, big enough to clean out a barn. It's been in the family for years (no one has a barn, come to think of it) and I know she uses it to dig out her car when the snow gets deep.

Once I saw it, I thought, "That's what I imagine the CBs carrying." Big enough to move some serious @#$%, and yet heavy enough to conk someone on the head and knock some sense into them.

The move went surprisingly well, with only a few minor a aches and pains.