Friday, January 12, 2007

Lost Treasure, First Snow, Inigo Montoya and Shipping My Sister to Ohio

On to better things, right?

We moved into our rental house almost a year ago and we are still going through boxes. Most of it's paper because I am the world's worst filer ever. At home that is. Because at work I'm pretty up on it all.

Anyway, DH found some papers of mine that had fallen out of a file. They were short scenes and story ideas. Since I'm currently out of my TBR (to be read) pile, I've been going through them.

Some are really, really bad. Some are "Hmm. Watch CSI much?" Others are "What were you reading when you came up with that?" And there was one "OHMYGOD, don't let DSS see this." Heck, I'd be embarrassed to have DH read that scene, and trust me, he'd probably be interested.

But my favorite finds were those little golden nuggets, those scenes of "so THAT'S where that went," those little sparks that helped me flesh out the characters of my manuscript. While most will never see the light of day, some scenes are like my own personal chapters of a day in the life of my book.

Other stuff: Stressors are high lately, so I was over the moon to see that the Princess Bride was on TV. I watched it again - twice.

We finally got snow - and naturally everyone freaked. You know, "the sky is falling" mentality. Gee, I'm glad we didn't get more than an inch of the white stuff. Of course, I grew up in a lake effect area off Lake Michigan and I think most of the drivers around here are a bunch of weenies. I got my driver's license in the dead of winter. And don't get me started on whoever is in charge of plowing the roads. When I first moved here, I swore everyone was a transplant from the south. If you begin to slide, your car becomes a big comfy toboggan. So remember your sledding skills. Of course, you can't really bail if things start to go south ...

Sister #1 just found out she has one week to relocate to Dayton, Ohio. Since I think she's past the major freak-out over the weekend, I think she'll be OK now. But if anyone is from the area and has any suggestions for someone new to Ohio, things to do, places to see, things to avoid, please drop me a line and I'll pass it along.

No comments: