Friday, March 30, 2007

Weird Science

(Ok, so that was as close as I could come first thing in the morning with a movie reference to a technology-oriented post.)

I love my gadgets. A lot of women prefer flowers or jewelry for birthdays and anniversaries. One year DH bought me a DVD player. I was in nirvana. Of course, I'm a movie and TV geek too, so it all ties in.

I began my college career in photojournalism, discovered I was so-not-outgoing enough to go get the who-what-when-where-whys and hows of the photos I shot. I was more of a hit-and-run photographer. "Who's that?" "I have no idea. Isn't that a great shot?"

I quickly meandered over to Telecommunications where I concentrated on Broadcasting and Media Writing. I discovered I could make stuff up with the best of them. Unfortunately, there were not a whole lot video production companies out in the middle of the corn fields I was living in and I was finding it difficult to set off for parts unknown on a hope and a prayer of finding a job.

Now you have to remember that I was in college from 1988-1992, and CDs were a fairly new thing. The You Tube and digital media craze was barely haze on the horizon. Now you can shoot and produce virtually anything anywhere. Back then I was hesitating about moving two hours away for the gritty streets of Chicago, and even then there was not a great demand for AV people outside tv stations.

Part of me thinks about what it would be like to go back to college and do my Video Production and Writing over again. Then again I like getting paid too. Maybe I'll just invest in some Photo Shop and Video Editing software for my computer and make believe I'm George Lucus again. I always wanted to edit scenes from the original trilogy to the song "Night on Bald Mountain." Pesky copyright rules.

Anywho, last night DH and I bought our latest little toy - our first DVD recorder. It's nothing fancy, I assure you. No need to track me down and break into my house. You might be tempted to bring some of your own stuff over. "Good lord, they still have a turntable. Fred, give them your MP3 player."

Our VCR has been taunting me lately. It's annoying. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's planning a revolt. I'd better record my wedding video to DVD before it eats everything in sight.

And since DH and I are feeling old, we got ready for bed at 10:00 last night, leaving the DVR in the box. A few years ago, that never would have happened. We would have been recording infomercials at 2 AM, just to see it work. Naturally, I couldn't help myself and set the thing up this morning.

I missed breakfast and was nearly late for work. Oh well :)

2 comments:

McB said...

Congrats on the new toy. My sister and I went together and got one for my dad a few years ago. Word of warning ... pay very close attention to what KIND of DVD you need to use. The variety available boggles the mind.

Margaret said...

Hey, gal!

I just want to say that I really enjoy your blog. Every time I visit, I laugh.

A couple of blogs back, you wrote, ". . .certain aspects of my life are lazily circling in mid-flush in the Great Comode of Life." And oh, boy, do I get it!! Sometimes you just invent The Perfect Phrase, and that was one of those.

Thanks for letting us in and giving us a smile.