Monday, April 09, 2007

Meet Your New Neighbors!

Hope everyone had a good Easter. If you don't celebrate Easter, hope you had a good Sunday, or whatever you wish to celebrate.

The laughs never stop at my house. My folks are in town. They have a 100 pound golden retriever named Molly. My dog Trent weighs in a 15 pounds. He's the little brother she never wanted.

I discovered that Molly likes jelly beans. Except when one was dropped in her general direction, she would gulp it up only to promptly spit it back out and look at us sadly. Then Trent would swoop in and snatch it up. Then Molly would go back to looking at us sadly. I swear, they did this a dozen times. Not just jelly beans though. Ham, bread crumbs, doggie breath mints, whatever. Molly would drop it, Trent would eat it, and Molly would just look sad.

We baked a ham and since I am limited for counter space, DH put the roasting pan outside. He went to put in inside our old grill to keep the critters out of it, but when he opened the lid, he was faced with the biggest bird nest I've ever seen. Naturally, there are five little eggs inside. So much for putting the grill out with the trash this week (we just bought a new one).

So now we have to wait until the eggs hatch and the baby birds fly away before getting rid of it. I'm sure it's nice and toasty right now, but I really hope it doesn't get too hot in there once the weather stays warm.

Somehow I've lost any taste for Cornish hens.

2 comments:

The Merry said...

Douglas Adams wrote a non-fiction book, Last Chance to See, which involved him traveling by a small boat to a remote island. They had to take their food with them, and since this was in the tropics (Indonesia) they took the food in live form, i.e. they brought a bunch of chickens over on the boat. Adams wrote that all the way over, the chickens were eyeing him with a certain beady-eyed suspicion. For some reason, when he got there, he decided that he really wanted to eat fish instead.
Indonesia, Indiana... not that far apart, really.
Hey, Btuda, you could write a book about your adventures! Why not? It could happen.

btuda said...

mary,

They are also similar in that I wouldn't last 10 minutes in the wild in either place. I'd probably be pecked to death by an overzealous momma bird.