Wednesday, April 11, 2007

An Ode to Spring

Welcome to amature poetry hour. *ahem*

The sun is shining
The day is aglow
Yet I feel I should be watchful
For what, I do not know.

The early spring flowers are blooming
The trees regain their leaves
It is a special time
Before hornets, wasps and bees.

A spring shower passes
Washing away winter’s grime
The air is fresh, the temps are warm
All looks new, like a shiny new dime.

I cannot shake the foreboding -
What is that I see?
Red buds by the thousands
Fallen off the trees.

Curse you, red buds!
For I know what is next
My annual pilgrimage to pharmacy
My life savings in Rx.

Oh it starts innocently enough
A sniff, an occasional sneeze
My eyes redden, my nose runs
My cough turns into a wheeze.

Oh, curse you red buds!
You signify the worst
Just as the weather turns nice
My sinuses feel they shall burst.

Only now it isn’t just red buds
The changes have me beat
I don’t know whether to fire up the air conditioner
Or turn up the heat.

My allergies evolved into my annual springtime cold
A freight train that cannot be stopped
There is nothing like feeling miserable
A good time to be had, not.

Curse you, red buds!
We do this every year
From allergies to colds to hacking cough
And keeping Kleenex near.

I called my Mom
My husband made me soup
The thing I hate the most is
Always feeling pooped.

So here I am
Forced to tough it out
Hard when you feel like such a baby
And feel grumpy and want to shout.

Anb so dis is my stoby
Abou ‘ow I gob dis code
I reabby habe dose reb buds
*Sigh* 'aybe I shoub habe my nose.

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Kleenex - check
allergy meds - check
soup - check
shovel for those who just won't leave you the h*ll alone - check.

A suggestion: Buy a soft flexible gel pack, and heat it. Lie down, put it over your eyes, cheeks & nose. The weight and the heat will help your sinuses open and get you unstuffed. The heat will just plain feel good, and most of the gel packs hold the heat for a pretty good little while. Y'know, with all the free time that you have to lie around. Seriously, I've tried this and it works pretty well, although temporarily.

Just don't miss the bus. It's on the way--eventually. I think CMS is driving, and you just never know where she'll end up. Or over.

Anonymous said...

Shakespeare... Keats... Btuda...

btuda said...

mary - *snort* - ack ... *hack, hack*

Yes, I occassionally like to amuse myself with my delusions of talent. BTW, you forgot Dr Seuss.

Wouldn't you just know it? I have plans tomorrow too.

Now if I can just find the bus ... I'd even meet it half way.

Unknown said...

Dang, Dr. Seuss... you're right. Forgot an important author. Yikes.
Y'know, they say that people with allergies feel much better once they reach the beach, specifically the Pacific. And I know a place with a comfortable couch. I'm just saying...

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Great poem Btuda. I loved it. Amused me like crazy.

It isn't Sheryl you have to worry about driving the bus it is me.(Scope Dope not Me)

Anonymous said...

LOL I love the last stanza.

It was great to meet you the other day!