Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday the 13th

I normally am not overly superstitious. I like black cats. Broken mirrors do not freak me out. I do not cry over spilt salt (or was that milk?). And I do not particularly understand an aversion to Friday the 13th. It's Friday. I've rarely had a Friday so bad the weekend could not make it better.

However, Monday the 13th is something else entirely. It's Monday. It is normally my luck to have bad things happen on Mondays. And whatever happens, you still have the entire week to wade through. Ugh.

I usually try to ignore it. Kinda the "if I can't see you, you can't see me" mentality. Mature, I know. Sometimes it works though. Last week I jinxed myself. Worse, I put it in writing. On a blog, I wrote, "In exactly 2 hours and 45 minutes, I can officially claim to have survived this week." While technically, this was true, I forgot Monday the 13th was around the corner and therefore have been given another hell week to get through.

You see, I am part of what is normally a 3 person team that is down to 2 people. The other person was on vacation last week, leaving me to be the one left. One hour and forty-five minutes after I wrote those fateful words, I got a call from my co-worker and friend saying she was in the hospital. Turns out she will be in the hospital a whole week, then out from work another 6 weeks or so. Right now it sounds like she will be fine, for which I am extremely thankful. On the selfish side, it looks like I will have to scrap a long weekend that I was soooo looking forward to, deal with the transition of the new addition to my group, and handle the work of three people.

I'm just going to warn people now. There will be a serious dent in the world's chocolate supply after this week.

***Update: Well, hockey pucks. I have no idea if I'm still on for Dayton or not. Right after I was informed that my co-worker will definitely be out the next 6-9 weeks, I received the formal approval of my vacation request for those days. Which will be while she is gone. I have no idea what my department would do without an assistant for two whole days. Guess we will have to wait and see.

5 comments:

Keziah Fenton said...

That's their problem, let them figure it out. You deserve the trip to Dayton. We need you there.

btuda said...

Heck, at this point, I need you guys to keep me sane!

Anonymous said...

Aw Shucks. I was looking forward to seeing you, too.
Hire a temp agency, maybe?

Here, my verification will cheer you up:

rqzuemn really queer zebras usually eat meals naked

btuda said...

*snort!*

Thanks, me. That was a welcome break from the circus music currently playing endlessly in my head.

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

btuda I am really looking forward to meeting you. I have heard such great things and I always read your blog. I think you need to take Dayton as a Mental Health Day. Of course anyone seeing a bunch of CBs together would probably say we need Mental Health Practitioners (shrinks.

Keep on trying. We need you there.