Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Coming attractions and Audience Participation

You know, this blog is supposed to be kickstarting my manuscript, so I think it is time that I commit myself (no, not that way, sheesh) to putting something out here for people to actually read that isn't about my venting about the injustices in life.

On the He Wrote/She Wrote blog, there is a lot of discussion about prologues, flashbacks, their purpose and/or necessity. In my manuscript, I have a single event that has a profound effect on the heroine's life, but I don't want to get bogged down in backstory when I could hit the ground running. I've written three different versions of the opening already, so this is where I am going to ask for feedback.

So hopefully in the next few days, I will post the different openings and with any luck the crickets won't scare anybody away. Let me know which one works for you and makes you want to read more.

Whew. There's no turning back now.

4 comments:

btuda said...

Testing ... this is only a test.

(That'll teach me to modify the setting on my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

You know sweetie, from one Indiana Pisces to another, that Kane Austen started her books with backstory. Don't let the worry you're not doing it 'right' keep you form telling the story in your head.

I'm down South in Bloomington. Where art thou, if I may ask?

Anonymous said...

Kane austen? Who? I meant Jane Austen!!

btuda said...

Boy, it's pretty sad that blogger eats a post to my own blog.

Too funny. I art in Lafayette, an IU grad right smack in the middle of Boilermaker country. Yes, I do like to live on the edge. *snort*

This should be interesting. This makes what, three CBs within about 2 hours of each other? It may explain the cherry-shaped crop circles ...

And you know Kane. Isn't that Jane's brother?

Hope you are doing well. I love the Tweety stories - too darn cute!