Thursday, December 28, 2006

Argh

This has nothing to do with Jennifer Crusie's blog by the same name. However, she has one of the best blogs out there and if you like snark and want a taste of what an author's life is really like, please go check it out. I've got a link on the sideboard over there.

No, today "Argh" simply has to do with my chronic foot-in-mouth disease.

Last night was the first night in about six weeks that I had free. No shopping, no running to do, no working. Just me, DH, my sweats, the comfy couch and TV. I even took a nap. DH was on the phone when there was a knock at the door. I untangled myself from the blanket, wrangled the dog away from the front door and found two vaguely familiar faces on the porch. They gave us a present and wished us a belated Merry Christmas. I thought, how nice. One of the neighbors brought us something. I thanked them and asked which house they lived in. You know, so we could wave and say hi and such. There was a long awkward pause.

They were our landlords.

Yes, I pretty much wanted to find a nice, deep hole. DH still hasn't stopped laughing, so I will continue to blame him for my embarrassment. I mean, he could have said, "Hey, look. It's the landlords" or something. Wasn't he supposed to have x-ray vision to see through the door or some psychic ability that says, "Your stupid wife is about to make an ass of herself?" *Sigh*

You know, it's things like this that makes me want a superpower to make up for my shortcomings. The Power of Invisibility would have come in handy last night. That, or be Photographic Memory Woman.

I'm going to be kicking myself over this for a long time.

So today's question is this: If you could pick, what would your superpower be?

4 comments:

Margaret said...

My superpower would be to have the ability to become invisible at will, leaving the other person wondering if, in fact, the F-I-M moment actually occurred at all.

Of course, I have a story. Years ago, I happened to meet up with an aquaintance at the mall. I hadn't seen her in several years, and we were catching up. There was a much older man with her, holding a baby. He quickly realized that we were going to yack for a few minutes, so he politely excused himself and disappeared. I happened to ask my friend if the man with her was her father-in-law, enjoying the grandbaby. (I knew her dad, and this wasn't him.)

Turns out that the man was her husband, and the baby was theirs.

Ouch.

rssasrb said...

What superpower do I want? The one where you can freeze the frame and rewind so you can edit out the embarrassing moment.

Anonymous said...

So, did they laugh with you? Or was there a strained silence, followed by them walking away shaking their heads while your hub rolled on the floor laughing?

I'm with Margaret on the ability to become invisible at will. ;+)

Margaret said...

Zaza,

No laughter, not even a smile when she told me that the man was her DH.

And I apologized for my faux pas (Over and over and over and over), although it WAS an honest mistake.

And I have not seen her since. Could be a coincidence, I suppose...