Wednesday, December 13, 2006

'Scuse me while I kiss this guy...

That was the name of this daily calendar I had a few years ago. It was 365 misquoted song lyrics. That one was a misquote for Jimi Hendrix's "Scuse me While I Kiss the Sky." Some were absolutely hysterical. Others, well, it made you wonder what the person was smokin' to think the words were even close to that.

I come from a family that makes it a tradition to make up the words as we go along. Here are some classics:

"Give me the Beach Boys to soothe my soul..." (Drift Away. I can't remember the original artist, but it was remade by Uncle Kracker a few years ago.)

"Islands in the Street, that is what we are ..." (Islands in the Stream, by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers)

"There's a bathroom on the right..." (Bad Moon Rising, by Creedence Clearwater Revival)

"Bobby used to work like a doc..." (Living on a Prayer, by Bon Jovi)

Obviously, I am not alone in my cluelessness. There is a commercial on TV right now for one of those cell phones with an MP3 player on it where two guys debate if the lyrics are "Lock the cashbox" or "Stop the catbox" for "Rock the Kazbah" (sp?).

Personally, I love misquotes. I know someone who constantly invents new movie titles, TV shows and song lyrics. Half the fun is trying to figure out what she's talking about. You know, that movie with Tom Cruise: A Few Good Marines.

I think I have a new supporting character for a contemporary novel: Misquote Woman. Bob only knows I have enough material for her.

Do you have any favorite misquotes?

No comments: