Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Damn it, Jim ...

(from Star Trek)

I don't know why, but that line always cracks me up. "Damn it, Jim. I'm a doctor, not an interior decorator!" (And yes, I just made that up. It wasn't in Star Trek.)

It's one of those lines that keeps popping up in conversations with my sisters. These are the same sisters who, at any given moment, will launch into a "Star Wars: Episodes IV - VI Quotefest". (deep breathing), "We're doomed!", "Governor Tarkin, I thought I recognized your foul stench.", "But Uncle Owen ...," "Beep bo Bap Bloop!", "Aauuuuuug!" (wookie-speak), "Sorry for the mess," "A little short for a Stormtrooper, aren't you?", "I care," and so on.

Dad is a huge Star Trek fan. Not Trekkie convention huge, but he holds an honest appreciation for the series. And I watched enough of it growing up that not only do I know what at Tribble is, but think the movie "Galaxy Quest" is possibly the funniest spoof movie ever.

I actually considered getting a scottish terrier just so I could name him Mr Scot and go around saying, "Aye, Cap'n!"

(And yes, I am well-aware of the differences between Star Wars and Star Trek. They just both happened to be a large part of my growing up.)

Several years ago there was this TV show called, "Two Guys, a Girl and Pizza Place," or something like that. The first season had one of my favorite TV characters of all time, played by David Ogden Stiers (Winchester from MASH). His character would channel some other famous character from a movie throughout the show. One time it was a football player, the Gipper or something. Another time he was Obi Wan from Star Wars. Cracked me up. I was devestated when he didn't return to the series.

So, do you have any quotes from movies or TV that show up from time to time in your life? Or am I the only nutcase that is so lucky? What is your favorite movie quote or favorite memory attached to a movie/TV show?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Star Trek quote (which may or may not be made up) is "It's worse than that, he's dead Jim."

I say this when things don't go according to plan.

btuda said...

Geez. I laughed so hard I think I almost lost a lung. If that line wasn't in the show, it should have been.