Friday, December 15, 2006

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson ...


Hmm. Christmas is essentially one week away. I haven't even opened my boxes of Christmas Cards yet, let alone addressed them. I just may have to take a guy at work's advice and just drop a bunch of addresses into my computer and print them out on labels. Horribly impersonal, I know, but it's crunch time, people.

What's worse is that DH and I moved back in February, so most of our family and friends have our old address. As an extra added bonus, I think the post office only forwards your mail for 6 months. We've gotten only five cards ourselves this year: our moms, my two sisters, and one aunt of mine who thought to call my mom for our address. And we had a family portrait done this year too. That I still haven't printed the copies off to stuff in the cards.

Maybe it will end up being a "Holiday" card instead.

And at job #2, for some reason, I volunteered to pick up a shift. That will put me at 22 hours, plus the 40 at my day job. Yes, that was a brilliant idea, considering how far behind I am with everything.

DH, Bob love him, is offering/having to do everything else I can't get to. He and DSS are actually braving the mall tonight to go Christmas shopping. Nice, because they will stop by and say hello. That will help get me through. I'm half afraid to ask him to finish up my shopping because he's been so great about me not being home at night and doing the house stuff. Thank Bob for gift cards.

Last night I threw out the idea of DH and DSS making cookies this weekend while I'm at work. I'm doing a little "yikes" because this is uncharted territory. DSS and I usually do the cookies together, but I think I've trained him well. That and he told me this week that he made what we call "eye balls" by himself for his brothers. "Eye balls" are small pretzels, white almond bark and M&Ms. With regular M&Ms, they look like eyeballs. With Christmas ones, they are just festive.

Now DH is a big boy and surely he's baked cookies himself at some point. Just not since I've known him. In the past seven years. He's more of the "I can work on your car, split wood and fix what's broken" kind of person. There is definitely something to be said for someone who is handy. Trust me, my sisters are quickly learning that, especially when they can save $300 on a brake job for the car. But cookies? I have the feeling he just might panic and get everything set up so it's ready when I come home.

And it is just cookies. Having someone prep them wouldn't be too bad at all.

Have I mentioned I adore the two guys in my life?

(The photo was forwarded to me, but I believe it originated from CNN's Offbeat page under Images. I think it's an AP photo from a mall in Japan. If I can locate the credits I will post them shortly. No, I have not been to Japan this Christmas season.)

2 comments:

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Since you are needing it I pencilled in an extra two weeks before Christmas for you. You are working too hard lady. Give yourself a break.

I bet your DH could make cookies if he tried. Give him a recipe book but be sure to tell him to make certain he has all the ingredients before he starts. Too late after.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

btuda said...

SDCB: Thanks, I'll need it! I know it's just not the same, but I ended up going the cookie mixes in a bag route and the eye balls. DH and DSS helped. And I was only up until 11:00 last night! Tonight, the Christmas cards and tomorrow the world!

Since we don't get DSS for Christmas until noon on Christmas Day, I think I'll take the opportunity to sleep in. That is, providing I can keep DH from jumping up and down in giddy anticipation. Yes, I really do mean DH and not DSS. He is one big kid at times.