Friday, May 18, 2007

Books and the Good Read

Many of us read to relax. The public library is literally two blocks from where I work. The good news: all the money I save from borrowing vs buying books. The bad news: the library calls when a book request comes in, and they're calling at least twice a week, driving DH nuts.

Tuesday I visited the library and two of my requests were in. Yay! I'm currently reading a paranormal, but it's been a challenge to get into. Then I accidentally left it at work. So I did what many of you would have done with time on your hands and a TBR (to be read) pile awaiting. I picked up a new book. Oh, I fully intended to finish the other one first before I really got into the meat of the second one.

Ha.

Every once in a while I come across a series that might as well be my crack. I would give up food for the next page of one of these books, so you know how serious this is. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels are one series. And one of the books I picked up the other day was the latest of the In Death series, "Innocent In Death" by J.D. Robb.

Oh. My. Bob.

I was sucked in, twisted up in knots, turned inside out, horrified and laughed out loud. That book went with me everywhere. To work, the BMV, and to bed. Maybe my eyes looked wild and feverish, because DH and the dog kept their distance. There was no amount of candle snorting that could bring me down off this buzz. For two whole days I might as well have worn a big red sign that said, "LEAVE ME ALONE. I AM TRYING TO READ MY DAMN BOOK."

I finished the book this morning, making me nearly late for work. Seriously, how can you possibly expect me to put a book down when I'm down to the last five pages? I might as well have tried to rip my own arm off.

So, whew. I'm better now. I LOVE books that make me all crazy when I read them. They make me think. I love the "A-ha!" moment when a clue falls into place, even if it is a half-second before the whodunit is revealed.

So now I'm going to try to get back to that paranormal. I still have hopes for it and Nora's book recharged my batteries somewhat (for those of you who don't know, Nora Roberts is the genius behind the J.D. Robb pen name).

Which reminds me, Jayne Ann Krentz has a new novel out. She is another author I go ga-ga over. She also has the distinction of having been the first author I met and where I instantly became a blathering idiot. Sadly, she probably won't be the last.

Which authors rev your engine?

4 comments:

McB said...

I love books that do that, pull you so thoroughly in that you just can't walk away. Even when it's done, the characters are still in your head.


Funny you should mention the new JAK because I'm currently reading her latest AQ book. I held off, savouring the moment, but I could wait no longer.

btuda said...

I love her AQ novels, too. We will have to see which way I cave first - if my request from the library comes in or I cave and buy it.

Anonymous said...

There are actually not many authors I follow with adandon. There's these two writers, Crusie and Mayer...My fave books is a Nora but some of her others are only "eh" to me. I used to love the Mrs. Murphy Mysteries by Rita Mae Brown and ran out to get them on release day, but with the last few in the series, I feel like I am reading them out of obligation more than actual enjoyment. (althouh this latest one was better than last year's.)

Never read JAK. there's a lot of authors out there I head about a lot on these sites, and I've never read them.

dee said...

I'd read anything by Joshilyn Jackson, including her grocery list. I am salivating for hew newest book, due out in January.

Crusie, of course, also tops the list. With three out between May and August, I should be in Heaven!

I've read a few boks by JAK and by NR, but not too many. I still have some that McB got me. I don't know why, but I just can't get into them. I'm sure it's me, because everyone else LOVES stuff by both of them.

One person I can't get enough of is Sandra Brown, though I'm not a huge fan of her older "romance" stuff. Her new books are FIRE though. I totally LOVE them.