Wednesday, May 09, 2007

You Again

For the past few months, I've been stuck in stallsville with my writing. Yes, I partially blame one of the meds the doctor put me on because ever since I started taking it, the little scenes popping up in my head have been painfully quiet. Of course I haven't seen that nervous twitch since then either, but I'm holding out hope that the two are not related. I mean, you can keep your sanity and be a writer at the same time right?

Ok, quit the snickering in the peanut gallery. You know what I mean.

It doesn't surprise me that the paranormal I've been kicking around for the past year has been quiet. The original idea was an ensemble cast of six characters: a vampire, an angel, a witch, a shapeshifter, a human researcher and an unknown. Kind of an "Incredible Journey from Hell." The unknown is kinda fun because she begins to develop powers and no one knows what exactly she is, but suddenly both good and evil sides want her as a kind of weapon of mass destruction. And she could easily go either way as she tries to find her path. My problem with this one is fleshing out the characters. The Unknown, the angel and the vampire are easy. I'm trying to figure out if the others are necessary at this point.

Now the historical romance has been percolating for years now. It's evolved several times now. I went through a spurt where I had all these ideas and not enough plot to tie them together. It was like living with these people. I saw them buying food and supplies, going to business meetings, taking care of the horses - not exactly the riveting stuff that makes for an entertaining read. I began to feel, "Oh. It's you again." And trying to weave threads to connect the good stuff? Ugh. Not a recommended method.

And then the other night Tyler and Bethany popped in my head again. He kissed her for the (millionth) first time. She is suspicious of his motives, but hey, she is only human. And in love with him since childhood. Too bad after their first kiss she felt obliged to break his nose. And he was engaged to someone else. Kinda put a damper on the whole blossoming possibilities there.

I actually sat up in bed. I was that surprised to hear from them. Weaving that complex dance of courtship is what keeps stumping me. Too much and it becomes a joke. Not enough, there's nothing to hold interest.

I think it's time to dust off my old plot lines for Tyler and Bethany and make them work again.

3 comments:

Keziah Fenton said...

Get writing! I've been waiting to hear what happens to this characters. I'm thrilled to see they're talking to you again.

Anonymous said...

How she'd break his nose? How did he react? Why did he kiss her in the first place? Does the fiancee know? And I take it, angel = good, vampire = bad, and they are vying for the Unknown? See, you can't just taunt me with these little tidbits and then walk away.

btuda said...

me: Of course I can. I'm a writer, right? WAHAHAHAHA

OK, she popped him in the nose after their first kiss. Out the blue he lays one on her, and only afterwards she finds out his good mood is because he is engaged - to someone else. I mean really, he ruined her first kiss EVER because it wasn't about her at all. And the fiancee didn't know.

The vampire and the angel are vying for the affections of the unknown. The motley crew is actually all on the same side, defending a portal that leads to Hell's gate, where all the really nasty bad guys come from. Both the angel and the vampire have played a role in saving the unknown from earlier fates. She just needs to decide if she wants to corrupt the good guy or be corrupted by the bad boy. It's be a fun write once I hammer out some plot points.