Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Office and the Ghost Surfing the Web

I'm still reeling with relief that my sisters and I won't be shipped off to live in a relative's broken home in the event anything should happen to my folks. I'd feel like someone's deadbeat cousin living on the couch in the basement.

(Warning: this author is a bit punchy this morning.)

I'm more than a wee bit tired this morning. At my day job, there are three of us assistants who work for the 9 officers in my department. One of the assistants is on vacation this week (alas, 'tis not I. I warned you I was punchy this morning). Apparently the super-secret code phrase for all hell breaking loose is voicemail and email reading, "I am currently out of the office..."

By what basic math skills I possess, you could assume that the remaining two assistants' work load would increase by 50%. Sadly this is not true. Without any exaggeration, I can safely state that our work load has increase by 200%. Diet coke and chocolate are coming into his place by the truckload.

I fell into the sleep of the nearly-dead last night, only awake to the light of the computer monitor. At 3:00 AM. WTH? DH woke when I turned it off and I asked, "Were you on the computer after I fell asleep last night?" He replied that he hadn't been on since early afternoon. Okaaaay. So either he conveniently "forgot" or something moved the mouse enough to wake it from sleep mode.
And I crate our dog at night (trust me, he actually prefers it that way).

Not that I think the dog is surfing the net and looking at the PetSmart website. Well, if he did surf the net I'd hope it was the PetSmart site and not some slutty poodle's site. I mean, we did have him neutered and boy, he's never forgiven us for that either. I'd also rather not think I have critters big enough to turn on the computer while I sleep. So yes, darn tootin' I hope DH was on the computer last night.

And before everyone threatens to take away his GAM-in-training status, this is the guy who, when I caught him gawking at a blond in a very tiny bikini mowing the lawn, could tell me down to the make, model and deck size of the mower, but didn't even know it was a woman mowing the grass. Or so he says. The man does know his machinery.

I know how to check the computer's cookies and history. If you need a car part, DH knows a site or two that can help. He found a car antenna that looks like a rod and reel for my dad for Father's Day.

Well, I've got to get to work. It's going to be one of those weeks.

1 comment:

Keziah Fenton said...

Gotta love a man who knows his machinery.
Here's some Diet Coke and excellent chocolate. Leave a little saucer out by the computer and see what you catch.