Thursday, May 17, 2007

So, how do you do it?

Blech. Time for a new chapter.

Yes, things are hectic. Ok. Things are REALLY hectic right now. And I'm one of those people who does not handle stress well. Thank Bob I get to snort candles at the candle store. I didn't think aroma therapy worked for me until I started working there. Feeling that tenseness in your shoulders? Grab a Vanilla Cupcake, Vanilla Caramel, Buttercream or Cranberry Chutney and take a deep breath. Aaah.

And yes, I noticed the theme too. Now if you'll kindly ignore the fact that I'm drooling on myself...

Life's not perfect, but a few seconds of sanity helps.

Of course, there are books. If my Saturday remains clear, I'll be reserving a few hours to read my latest library book and light a relaxing candle. Can't wait!

I know I need to exercise. I've been told - often- that it will help. Quite frankly, I have no routine and it shows. I have been doing more yard work lately but that only does so much. And then the rain messes up my schedule and I've got a jungle in my yard.

So here are my questions: What do you do to decompress when stress levels are going through the roof? And how do your motivate yourself to cut out some time to exercise?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exercise? What's that? Never heard of it. :-)

As for relaxing...a good book, maybe a bag of Doritos (see above comment), or I watch Pride and Prejudice for the zillionth time. Or shopping. A trip to Payless Shoes or Target can make everything better. Does walking around a store count as exercise?

McB said...

I've done the exercise route from time to time and it is helpful but yikes finding the time is tricky. As a motivator when I was doing it I used audiobooks downloaded to my iPod.

Otherwise, yard work if the weather cooperates, crochet and reading - always. Books are much more portable than an afghan in progress ... or my back garden for that matter.

btuda said...

me - *sigh* Mr. Darcy. I love that DVD too. I finally had to get it on DVD because my tape wore out.

McB - I agree. Making the time to do it is the hardest. And I completely forgot that you can download audiobooks onto an iPod. Hmm.

And wouldn't you know it, I don't have room for the one piece of exercise equipment I've ever used on a regular basis. Mom and Dad gave me the ellipical trainer when they moved to TN, but it's sitting down at DH's garage, 30 miles away.

The Merry said...

Destress?

1. I pet my dog
2. I hug my dog
3. see #1

Exercise. I've found that the only way I will ever get any exercise done is if I have no choice but to do it. Thus my cycling to work. It is nice to cycle past the gas stations and smirk ($3.45 was the last 'low' price I saw). Frankly, I park the bike in front of the evil SUV in the garage, so the only way I can leave for work is to a) move the bike while walking next to it or b) move the bike while sitting on top of it. Plus, I tell everyone at work that I'm riding in, so guilt plays a factor.

Have you ever considered a massage? ;)

McB said...

Btuda - you can also rip audiobooks from CDs. Not as great as downloading, but it works.

Anonymous said...

Well, books. And you know, books. Did I mention books?

As for exercising. I recommend finding a beginners bellydance class to join. My personal favorite fun type of exercise.